If you just want your resume template, simply scroll down and download the file. I strongly recommend gaining recruiters insight on chronological resume template listed below before downloading.
Chronological Resume Template
A chronological resume lists your experience first then everything else is listed afterwards. Following a traditional chronological template may not be a good choice for you and here is why.
When to use a Chronological Resume Template:
- When you have a strong work history in a specific industry (5 to 15 Years)
- Example: If you are a “Sword Fighter” and you have had about 5 to 15 years’ experience with a few different companies then a “Chronological Resume Template” would be perfect. In that case all the employer cares about is your experience, and the type of Swords you use. Little attention is paid to your “attention to detail” or “good team player” abilities. Recruiters will find those things out during the interview so don’t waste the valuable space.
When not to use this form
- If you are recent graduate and don’t have much experience.
- You will miss out showcasing your education, ability, dedication etc.
- When you have held 3 jobs all completely unrelated to each other
- Showcasing your experience with a few unrelated jobs tells me that you are ether good at bunch of things or none at all, Recruiters usually assume none at all.
- If all your jobs are completely unrelated to the position you are applying for, switching careers for example.
- If all you have done is Admin work, showcasing your abilities to “file” and do “data entry” may not be the best experience for that Project Management position you want.
- Basically if your work history sucks or you are trying to do something completely different
On with the guide how to write a perfect chronological resume to get the most out of your experience thus far.
Chronological Resume Template and Sample:
Street Address | City, ST ZIP Code | Phone Number | E-mail Address
Objectives are nothing more than answering these questions in 3 to 4 sentences or bullet points.
1) Why have you applied
2) What can you do for me
3) Why should I hire you
That is it! Continuing with our “Sword Fighter” example it should look like this
- Obtain a position at “Company you are applying for” where I can maximize my “Job Description Requirement”, “Job Description Requirement”, “Job Description Qualification”, and “Job Trait” Experience.
- Sword Fighter trainee of the year, recognized for winning fights constantly, recognized for some recognition or accomplishment at work. If you don’t have award I’m sure you can think of something you did you could brag about, for example:
- Created additional sword fighting moves to develop and expand existing training material, educate students, and improve recruitment of our Sword Fighting School. My unique experience can be utilized to improve upon existing training programs (why are they looking to fill this role?)
- Hold training/work related certifications in A, B, C, which have enabled me to develop strong “Job description abilities” a, b, and c.
Use a variation but keep it short to maybe 3 statements that pertain to the job description. Following this style will tell employees that you looked into the company, that you have read the job description, and that you took the time to write a resume especially for them.
Additionally whoever is reading this, will continue to read, they will focus in on your experience next and you will be very likely to be invited for an interview.
TITLE – Sword Fighting Company A Start Date — End Date
- Main key Requirement on the job description, If they want experience, certification, license, ability to do something whatever it may be list that here first.
- Major responsibility that the job wants you to undertake. Manage, Coordinate, whatever it may be list that here and state that you did it well
- Worked with these people in order to make this happen. So worked closely with Clients, Employees and upper level management in order to gather all production requirements which resulted quicker production cycles, zero faulty items and increased in repeat orders.
- Major Accomplishment, a reward, something you implemented, how you left the place in better shape – EMBELISH there is no way recruiters can check, don’t lie however because that is easily seen during the interview process.
Note: If you have a very long work history keeping the bullets to 3 to 4 is acceptable. If you have had only two jobs but stayed in each for a long time its ok to add 6 to 7 bullets, all targeting each key term that the job description is asking for.
Under no circumstances, keep repeating the bullets even though they may exactly be the same, simply reword and rephrase. Reading the same thing over and over makes any recruiter start to doubt.
By all means don’t skip on the bullets. Any resume I get that only has the title, company and time I skip over.
TITLE – Sword Fighting Company A Start Date — End Date
- Keep repeating the above for all jobs
Note: If you have a very long work history keeping the bullets to 3 to 4 is acceptable. If you have only had two jobs but stayed in each for a long time its ok to add 6 to 7 bullets, all targeting each key term that the job description asks for. If you have a long gap, simply add it just like you would a job. State something took time off to travel the world, took time off in order to help my family build a vacation home in Such and such place. We will talk about this more, keep in mind that nobody knows what you did during your time of, and make it look productive. We will talk about this topic in the Blog section.
Keep repeating this for all jobs at least 10 years back, much further is not needed.
Education – Mention if you have it and if the job requires it, if somebody is looking for a candidate with a high school degree as a minimum and you have a master degree, its best to keep the masters of the resume. I know you are proud of it and so am I but will talk about this later in the blog section; all we are trying to accomplish for right now is get our interview conversion rate up.
Skills/Abilities/Traits – List the key requirements which you did not touch on with your bullet points, so anything that is in the job description that you know how to do list it here.
“Activities”, “Volunteer History” or “Organizations” is not required.
DO NOT WRITE, “REFERENCES ARE AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST”, OF COURSE THEY ARE,
CLICK HERE to view the Combination Resume Template
If you have found this Article helpful post in the comment section
Chronological Resume Template for Mac and Windows Download